A small group of people scattered around the world dedicated to keeping one story alive.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Writing

Go down 
AuthorMessage
KittyCyrael

PostSubject: Writing   Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:48 am

We all get stuck in a rut when trying to write up a decent post or a story or some such thing that needs to be written. Like essays for school and the like. Sometimes our creativity levels are just too meh to dish out something we think is good enough to be worth reading. Well, here are some of my tips for writing. TS and Shade, you guys can post yours or any questions on here too.

There's always description. So you have a character, lets say Kitsune. We all know Kitty has dark eyes, dark hair, and usually a 'meh' expression. But that's not very descriptive. Let's say after you wracked your brain so hard and managed to describe what Kitty looks like, what she's wearing, what she's doing; you're still not content with how it turned out.
My friend taught me how to meditate. He said close your eyes and visualize something, so I thought of an apple. What does it look like? He said try to imagine how it feels like. Pretend youre holding it and you can feel its weight. Imagine the smell of it. Pretend to throw it and imagine the sound it makes when it hits the floor or a wall.
After trying this excersize, I went onto BT to post. This is what happened:

Kitsune had learned a lot in her relatively brief trip. It felt like a couple of years had passed as she was under the tutelage of one of Lucien's officers, a gargoyle-looking demon by the name of Yrael, learning more about her newfound hellish power. Back in the human world, only an hour or more has passed and as soon as Kitsune stepped out of the portal and realized this, her form disappeared in a streak of silver, no, of mercury, and made a beeline for the now ruined hospital. She materialized right where she remembered Curiosita's bedside to be, and was confused when she found herself atop a pile of rubble and broken rebar. Am I in the right place? she wondered as she looked around and quickly gathered her bearings. Then it dawned on her that this place was exactly where she wanted, where she had to be. She started to claw furiously at the rubble, tossing aside chunks of concrete like they were nothing in her search. After a while of frenzied digging, Kitsune's hand brushed against cold skin, covered in dust and rubble. She unearthed the body carefully, her mind already imagining the worst while she clung onto the vain hope that maybe, just maybe, this dead being wasnt Curiosita. She pulled the body out with one swift tug and she knew. She didnt have to look to know it was Curiosita who hung limp and cold as death in her arms. Kitsune's jaw clenched tightly as she tried to bite back a scream. Silent sobs wracked her frame as she held Curiosita close to her; tears streaming down her face as the scream choked in her throat, coming out as hysterical laughter instead. Kitsune's fingers clawed at the shirt Curiosita wore, grabbing handfuls of the material as if that could bring Curiosita back to her if she squeezed hard enough. She remembered when Curiosita had found her, half dead and alone, tired from running like a hunted animal; and then she trew her head back and howled. The sound was so full of anguish and sorrow that no passersby would dare approach her. Curiosita had died once; and now it had to happen again. And Kitsune wanst able to do anything about it. Again.

It's not too long, but its my favorite post of mine. And I recall an idea that I try to keep in mind when writing.
"If it looks like TV in your head when you read, you're doing it right."
Back to top Go down
Tainted Soul
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Writing   Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:16 pm

Quote :
The thing I always like to start with is The Character. You can't do much with out that person. So for the sake of this lets create a man named Alan. Now first question you need to ask yourself, what does Alan look like? Well Alan has short black hair, a red T-Shirt and Jeans. WRONG! That's not what Alan looks like thats what everyone looks like. Alan needs to be specail to keep-not only your readers- but yourself interested if you get bored with your character theres no point to him. So lets see Alan can have a green mo-hawk, nope sorry he can't. Keep in mind that your character needs to be specail but not so much so that he is disjointed from the world. Realism keeps people hooked as they can relate. Yes you can have a character wearing a trench coat and a tie and straps upon straps around themselves, but remember not to over do. (Incidently my friend dresses like that in the real world) So back to Alan, lets give Alan spiked black hair, a baggy red T-shirt with a black splattered bloodshot on the back and a pair of dark jeans with white boots. Judging by this discrïption you can tell Alan is roughly in his teen years rather then a 30 something year old going to work.

Details in your characters apperance help define who they are. The big question is why they are dressed like that, not so much the reason they are wearing those clothes but rather how they represent your character. Judging by Alan's choice of clothes I would say he is the type of teen that is some what rebelious but not to an extreme level. So why is he rebelious? Well we could have some far out story about his parents being wrongfully murdered by the police so he is disjointed to the rules. Or you could say he had overbearing parents and he didn't like being so controlled as this is much more realistic. When it comes to your character you always need to read to much into the little details, tiny things define who we are.

Speaking of tiny things, it's always good to have a huge background story for your character. Where they've been helps tell where they'll go. Now we've already said Alan had overbearing parents but his history doesn't ened there, where did he grow up? Did he have a lot of friends? Was he an outtcast? If so why? Did he elect to stray away from the group? Did the other kids not like him? Or was it because his parents wanted to keep him tucked away and safe? There are so many little things to decided on Alan's past that you need to think of. These things my not necisarily be used in your story but simply define your character. Casing point J.K Rowling's character Dumbledore was gay (This is true) It never came up in the book because it wasn't needed, the story wasn't about an old wizard sturgling to find love on the internet it was about a boy discovering who he was and how an old wizard helped him find his way. Think of everything!

Next time I'll look at wording, but right now I have to go to a meeting.

Just thought I'd repost my last one incase it got missed. So like I said lets look at wording.

Now I'm going to use an example again so lets look at something I'm sure you've all seen one time or another wether it's been in real life or TV. A wedding. So let's work out the base text, setting the scene, the main characters and using simplistic descriptive words.

Shawn stood still at the altar feeling nervous. The music began to play as the crowd feel silent and he could hear his heart in his chest. She was beautiful, graceful, as she moved between the pews, people muttering in awe. The flower girls followed close behind her trailing red flower petals on the ground

So thats a very basic style, we understand this is the start of the wedding the groom Shawn is understanable nervous and his bride is approaching. First thing we should do is go into more detail to set the mood of the main character Shawn, now he's obviously uneasy so lets fosuc on that by throwing in some physical descriptions about it. Think about what happens when you're nervous put yourself in this poor bastards shoes and type it out. So instead of 'Shawn stood still at the altar feeling nervous'
When get something like Shawn's feet were mired to the ground as his pulse rang in his ears, his body frozen more from fear than anything as thoughts about the future ran rampant through his brain. Biting his lower lip he began to question the time, she was late, had she left him at the altar? Had she found someone else? As sweat trickled down his tanned skin Shawn couldn't help but question every little detail about the day, about his bride, about his future. So there you go Shawn seems a hell of a lot more scared doesn't he? Now noticed the words I used to describe his fear, such as mired. Mired means your stuck in like mud or some sticky web subtance and as much as you pull at it you can't move yourself. The very definition of the word is trapped. Shawn is feeling traped. Notice I also used a description as a way to hint at the characters apperance, Shawn is tanned.

So a quite pause from Shawn's wedding to rant about words. Words need to convey the scene or the character. For instance if you are writing a horror scene or writing for a bad guy use words that make people feel uneasy. My favorite way of this is snakes, it's even in the bible snakes are evil... Cool looking but evil. So for instance if a bad guy is talking like this "I wonder how long it'll take before you finally give in" Yes you could just put at the end of the scentce 'Said Daizuke' at the end of it and be done with it orrrrr you could use a snakey feature and say "I wonder how long it'll take before you finally give in" hissed Daizuke and then make it worse "I wonder how long it'll take before you finally give in" hissed Daizuke against his ear, his stale warm breath so close against Alan's skin So poor Alan has this super creepy snake dude right next to him freaking his the fuck out. Once again a feeling of being trapped. Then lets say your in a fight scene where the bad guy is considerable stronger then the good guy You could say; Daizuke reached up wrapping his fingers around Alan's throat and chocking him orrrrr Daizuke's hand shot forth his steel like finger, snapping around Alan's neck (Sounds faster now doesn't he anyways lets carry on His grip tightened around his throat like a snake crushing it's victim as Alan helplessly clawed at the vice around his neck in vain. And now Daizuke seems stronger and faster. A way to go about this is to always have http://thesaurus.com/ open in another window, that way if you know the basic word you want to use you can type it into this and find a word which has the same meaning but sound more sinister or kinder or whatever.

Anyways back to Shawn, lets see what we have of his story so far... Shawn's feet were mired to the ground as his pulse rang in his ears, his body frozen more from fear than anything as thoughts about the future ran rampant through his brain. Biting his lower lip he began to question the time, she was late, had she left him at the altar? Had she found someone else? As sweat trickled down his tanned skin Shawn couldn't help but question every little detail about the day, about his bride, about his future. The music began to play as the crowd feel silent and he could hear his heart in his chest. She was beautiful, graceful, as she moved between the pews, people muttering in awe. The flower girls followed close behind her trailing red flower petals on the ground So the next part about the music is to show that the bride is about to arrive, you could leave it like that if you'd like or you could say something like A raucous beat rumbled across the church as the crowd of friends and family quickly became silent So thats pretty much the same thing, the scentence is a little longer than that but it hasn't changed much these are what I call transition lines. They help the story move along but hold no real basis to the story it's self. However notice the words I use are not everyday words no one says 'A raucous beat' they say 'bloody loud music!' But you always want to show of your vocab cause well it makes things fancy.

Shawn's feet were mired to the ground as his pulse rang in his ears, his body frozen more from fear than anything as thoughts about the future ran rampant through his brain. Biting his lower lip he began to question the time, she was late, had she left him at the altar? Had she found someone else? As sweat trickled down his tanned skin Shawn couldn't help but question every little detail about the day, about his bride, about his future. A raucous beat rumbled across the church as the crowd of friends and family quickly became silent. She was beautiful, graceful, as she moved between the pews, people muttering in awe. The flower girls followed close behind her trailing red flower petals on the ground Next line to work on is the bride, brides always look wonderfull so lets play on that and also how the love of this woman calms Shawn down. Shawn felt a lump in his throat as she entered the church, she was an angel. Her golden curls tied to the base of her head in a wild pony tail which held her white vail in place as it covered her eyes and nose. He could still see her flawless pale skin below the vail and her lips, her bright crimson plump lips which curled in the corners to a delicate sweet smile. Tha smile made him want to fall to his knees and ask her to marry him all over again So we now know more about what the bride looks like and by focusing on the lips and describing them as 'crimson plump lips' it hints at sexual content of what Shawn is thinking about this girl as lips often symbolise sex and the fact he focus on that the most shows what he's thinking.

The final line The flower girls followed close behind her trailing red flower petals on the ground Is yes, another transition line BUT we can always use transition lines for other things such as to talk about a persons personality for instance; The flower girls straying just behind her dropping red petals at her feet. Shawn smirked slightly, she had spent so very long chosing these flowers she knew they had to be red but there was shape to consider, there was size, there was scent. All of these little details he had overlooked on such a minute thing she had focused intently on for months. Every little thing had to be perfect for her, and she deserved it he mused for she was perfection's embodiment. So by simply giving the petals a back story we can see that Shawn REALLY REALLY loves this girl and she's a little obsessive with tiny little things but thats something he finds adorable about her.

So we had: Shawn stood still at the altar feeling nervous. The music began to play as the crowd feel silent and he could hear his heart in his chest. She was beautiful, graceful, as she moved between the pews, people muttering in awe. The flower girls followed close behind her trailing red flower petals on the ground

And ended with: Shawn's feet were mired to the ground as his pulse rang in his ears, his body frozen more from fear than anything as thoughts about the future ran rampant through his brain. Biting his lower lip he began to question the time, she was late, had she left him at the altar? Had she found someone else? As sweat trickled down his tanned skin Shawn couldn't help but question every little detail about the day, about his bride, about his future. A raucous beat rumbled across the church as the crowd of friends and family quickly became silent. Shawn felt a lump in his throat as she entered the church, she was an angel. Her golden curls tied to the base of her head in a wild pony tail which held her white vail in place as it covered her eyes and nose. He could still see her flawless pale skin below the vail and her lips, her bright crimson plump lips which curled in the corners to a delicate sweet smile. Tha smile made him want to fall to his knees and ask her to marry him all over again. The flower girls straying just behind her dropping red petals at her feet. Shawn smirked slightly, she had spent so very long chosing these flowers she knew they had to be red but there was shape to consider, there was size, there was scent. All of these little details he had overlooked on such a minute thing she had focused intently on for months. Every little thing had to be perfect for her, and she deserved it he mused for she was perfection's embodiment.

See the massive change to such a tiny paragraph? We know more about the characters in both physical and mental attributes and it's a much nicer read due to the fluent words used.

And now a quick tip sort of corosponding with GR's one above something I use myself when stuck. Reenactment. Litterally put yourself in the characters mindset. I do this alot! My most recent one was Ayala waking up in the hotel. I honestly couldn't think of what to get her to do. So I laid down on the couch and feel asleep when I woke up I noted what my first movements were and imagined I was in the hotel itself and reacted to the new enviroment as I thought someone such as Ayala would. You coud try this yourself and see if it works for you.
Back to top Go down
http://blackthunder.secretsstories.net
Shade_The_Shadow_Lord
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Writing   Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:35 pm

Thank you two for all the tips they are very helpful and I hope that my low quality rping becomes more like the two of yours. The only thing I am concerned with is post length itself. I generally am discouraged when I feel I have posted a very good sizable post, but then afterwards am faced with the reality that the both of your write twice as much as me and on a far more regular basis. Any thoughts?

PostSubject: Re: Writing   Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:45 pm

One quote comes to mind "Size doesn't matter" The length of a paragraph is close to pointless, what matters is the passion behind the words.
Back to top Go down
Shade_The_Shadow_Lord
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Writing   Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:43 am

Now that's a good quote

PostSubject: Re: Writing   Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:24 pm

What is? "Size doesn't matter"? or "what matters is the passion behind the words"?
Back to top Go down
Shade_The_Shadow_Lord
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Writing   Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:14 am

The entire thing

PostSubject: Re: Writing   Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:47 pm

Long quote
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Writing