Black Thunder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A small group of people scattered around the world dedicated to keeping one story alive.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Doctor Mercy

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Tainted Soul
Admin
Tainted Soul

Doctor Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Doctor Mercy   Doctor Mercy Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:17 pm

I wrote this story simply as practice for 1st person writing, it's not my greatest story but certainly not the worst. It took me oh about 3-4 hours to write all up. So Enjoy...

All my life I wanted to help people. Ever since I can remember it was my dream, I wasn’t sure how but I just knew I wanted to help. There was no real reason for it, I didn’t want to help people for vengeance against evil doers nor did I want to help for fame and glory. It was just something in my DNA something telling me that I could always do more for people. My name is Dana Mercy. Doctor, Dana Mercy, I didn’t spend 5 years of my life studying for nothing. And I was a normal girl once but that was over a decade ago, god it seems so far away now. All those years ago when I first arrived at Jump City, when it all began with a woman named Ona.

I had just started my internship at Halows Asylum in Jump City and needless to say I was as nervous as hell. It was even worse when before even entering the door I could hear screaming in the lobby. “I’ll pick my teeth with your children’s bones and make you watch before eating your eyes for dessert!” A voice shouted in the lobby as I stood in the door baffled and afraid. This young green haired woman was being pulled down by at least 3 guards and being pumped full of various drugs by 2 other doctors yet she was still going, it was amazing. She only stopped when she noticed me staring at her, she stopped and she smiled. I can still picture her face clearly in my mind, every line in her face as her skin creases from her pronounced cheeks, each ivory tooth as it gleamed in the light, that innocent look which seemed so foreign to her actions. It sent chills down my spine. “I like your glasses” she said playfully as I instinctively reached for the square black frames resting on my pointed nose. She stepped closer to me, I remember feeling the sweat travel down the back of my neck and my mind screamed it was all a joke on the new girl. Luckily for me her distraction gave Joey enough time to tazer her in the back of the neck making her drop like a sack of rocks. That was the first time I met Joey... Oh god, Joe... Joey I’m so sorry... God Joe I never meant for this to happen to you. I just... I didn’t think about what I was doing... I wanted to help.

Because Ona took an interest in me I was assigned as her Doctor. I had never seen such a serve case of dissociative identity disorder. I would always enter a session with her wondering who I would be talking to today Ona or Madora, sometimes I would start a convocation with one and end it with the other. But it was our last interview I remember the most.

“The guards tell me you’ve been cutting yourself again Ona... If you wanted a pen and paper to draw all you need to do is ask” I tell her this knowing it’s in vain but it’s been a year and sometimes it feels like I get through, I just need to keep trying. “I-I know” She says quietly “But the pain makes me feel like I’m still here... Like I’m still connected somehow and maybe there is a reason for me still being here.” “What about your daughter? Isn’t Imogen enough?” “Ha! The little brat is nothing but a zombie, best to just put her in the grave and make sure she stays there” The sentence doesn’t shock me, I’m use to it by now I know Madora’s here now “Now why do you say that Madora? Ona clearly cares for her, shouldn’t you care for her too? After all Ona is your mother too, doesn’t that make you sisters?” “Sisters?! Lady let me tell you something about family, it sucks! My own brother stuck my hand in a blender because he thought I was sleeping with his wife!” This comment doesn’t surprise me either. I know what Ona can do and I know what Madora is, a manifestation of all the memories people wish to forget the parts of their life they want to pretend never happened. I can not entirely erase Madora but I can try to get Ona to control her so she’s less violent in society. “Did your brother ever do that to you Mercy?” “No, you know I have no siblings Madora. But if family is so bad why do you have fond feelings for Ona?” “Fond feelings? You’re kidding right?!” “No, it’s obvious you have the strength to rip a person apart why not kill Ona if family is so bad?” “Same reason I haven’t killed you yet Mercy” “And that is...?” “I know there’s something worse in store for you... Have you seen my latest drawing?” She reaches into her shirt pulling a crumpled bit of paper from her bra before tossing it at my feet. I grab the ball of paper and unravel it, smoothing out the creases best I can. On the paper is a splatter of blood, nothing more but Madora finds it amusing. Her laughter gets louder and louder as I stare at the paper “What is it?” “It’s you!” She keeps laughing but then suddenly stops as a sharp gasp retches her forward “Oh god Dana, I didn’t want you to see that... You shouldn’t have seen that. I’m so sorry...” The fear in Ona’s eyes is what I remember the most about her, I had never seen anyone so frightened “It’s alright Ona. Let’s call it a day, Joe?” I call Joey’s name and he walks in immediately. Since the day I started he always took care of me, kept me safe, made sure I alright. I knew it was because he loved me but my career came first, I didn’t have time for distractions and sadly for Joe my career soon became an obsession.

I can't help but think about Super powered people being locked away. In the BT univerese super powers are not a hidden thing so I wonder how a real doctor would handle treating a case like Ona's if her illness was caused by the persons powers.
Back to top Go down
http://blackthunder.secretsstories.net
Tainted Soul
Admin
Tainted Soul

Doctor Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Mercy   Doctor Mercy Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:21 pm

This started as a story about Ona's time with Doctor Mercy then evolved into something else, it's rather disjointed and doesn't go into a lot of details as I was trying to match up a persons thought patterns

My next shift I received word of Ona’s death, she had been killed over the weekend. After she got her first visitors in 2 years, several people visited her that day and the mystery of her death lead to my obsession with super hero and villain profiles. Her visitors were later identified as Curiosita a scientist and telekinetic who has no recorded past and it’s never certain who’s side she is on. With Curiosita was her now Ex-wife Ruby who shared Curiosita’s passion in science, although she was not a hero or villain she seemed to bare arms in defence of herself or her wife, she too showed no clear signs on being good or evil. When the two left Ona was still reported people arrived. I’ve identified they as Mai, Kitsune, Vern, Archeron and one person who is still unnamed. Mai is the current leader of The Enforcers, she is an over-bearing and over-protective leader with a clear judgement of wrong and right. She was once fun loving but it seems after some time spent trapped in Black Thunder’s base she became a more serious hero. It was no wonder she started a relationship with Archeron as he still maintained his playful demeanour which reminded her of a more innocent time. It was amazing that he held onto this part of himself despite having his best friend and -what doctor’s have debated- his mature side, Vern killed by so far an unnamed murder. Then theres Kitsune, after disappear from the public eye for 7 years she showed up looking for Ona and acting rather distant. Since then Kitsune has kept herself in the public eye as the Mother figure of The Enforcers, she is stern towards the other members and won’t hesitate to pull them back into line. Little is known about the 5th member of this group the mysterious blue man was seen wandering about various Jump City locations with the group and then suddenly disappear, I’m curious as to whether we’ll ever see him again. Nurse Cassidy assures me there was a 6th member of the group she tells me there was a young girl with short blonde hair and black eyes who was, impaled by Kitsune. I don’t know how much truth can be read into her story as there’s photographic evidence of a woman fitting this description slaughtering police officers after the groups visit. I doubt this woman was killed by Kitsune. Anyone of these people could be Ona’s killer but the reports on her death deepen the mystery. There are hand and foot prints around the pool of Ona’s blood which seem to indicate a person pulling themselves from the blood and then walking away, there’s no evidence as to who this person is or even if they exist. But one theory I was never brave enough to share with my colleges was that it was a physical manifestation of Madora. But regardless of that this is how I found my calling in life, these people that visited Ona all had in some been influenced by the super hero/villain world and my god their mind were simply... Fascinating to study.

Although I did most my studying from afar there was the rare cases I was lucky enough to get close and personal with these people. Rima, a girl who could warp reality but was simply overcome by the power of it is one example. Emilee, is another one of our frequent visitors. She uses her powers of sound manipulation for fame though on the rare occasions she is caught Emilee is sent here rather than prison, despite the fact she is quite sane and each time it boosts her fan base, she never stays long and I’ve only seen her in person once so little is known about her. But my favourite case was Vincent Dulwal, I was lucky enough to be his psychologist during his time in Halows Asylum... At least I thought I was lucky.

Vincent was brought in by his team leader Mai, or at least a woman claiming to be Mai but she looked nothing like the Mai on the news. He was brought to us covered in these marks; I’ve never seen anything like them. I’ve spent nights falling asleep in front of my computer looking at any type of ancient writing to even hint at what they mean, sadly to no avail. He was screaming like an animal, howling for vengeance and muttering incoherent sentences. I still wonder if what he was talking about made sense to even him. There were days of slight clarity where I would be able to talk to him from behind the bars, Joe was always there to keep an eye on me and keep Vincent in line. Even though I pleaded with him that it wasn’t necessary, I believed Vincent wouldn’t hurt me. He was a hero after all and that hero was still somewhere deep down, I just needed to help him out. He would talk to me sometimes, even if later he couldn’t recall our convocations I felt as if I was making a connection with him as if I could get through. We would talk about his Mother, his Father and how his earliest memory of his father was a drunken rant at his Mother about the boy being wrong, being evil. I tried once to talk about his team, he seemed rather okay until I started talking about Takara. He screamed something about Delilah and lunged at me, I’ve still got the burns. After that Warden Halows decided I couldn’t help Vincent anymore and assigned Doctor Rickets to Vincent. The bastard was merciless and his treatments were unorthodox at best. Electrotherapy wasn’t the cure for Vincent but instead of accepting this he simply intensified the treatment. But despite my feelings towards Doctor Rickets therapy it kept Vincent from attacking anyone else something the Warden called progress. He even began dosing Vincent with an experimental drug that suppressed his powers, I can’t begin to imagine how painful it was for Vincent to hold all that burning rage inside. However I was fortunate enough to see the remaining members of the Enforcers visit Vincent once a week. Every Friday I would watch them walk down the halls, oblivious to my presence and study them. The way the moved, their interactions with one another, the tones in their voice as the spoke of different people, it was intriguing. But soon enough I found that even I wished they no longer wanted to visit the Asylum. I wished Vincent was free of Doctor Rickets grasp, there was little I could do to comfort the poor soul and I knew he was in so much pain. Every time the Enforcers left him behind he would curl into a corner and cry. He wanted freedom; I wanted to give him freedom. But it wasn’t until I read Doctor Rickets notes that I realized how desperately Vincent needed to be freed. A lobotomy, he wanted to hold Vincent down and pull out a piece of his mind. Rickets deserved to be locked in a cell, not Vincent! I couldn’t let this happen and even if it costed me my job I wouldn’t let it happen. I went to the medical supply office and found the batch of the drug keeping Vincent powerless, I found it and I destroyed it. I left a placebo in its place; no one would be able to tell the difference and soon enough Vincent would be strong enough to leave this awful place behind, then I could find him and help him, the right way. I returned to Vincent and found Joe guarding it with his team. “Joey, I need to talk to him please” I begged him, Joe was always stubborn. “No Dana, he’ll attack you... Again.” “Joe. Please, please just five minuets... Please” I was close to tears and Joe could see it, for a moment he softened but a harsh look from one of the other guards reminded him of his job. “Dana, he’s just an animal, Doctor Ricke-“ “He is not an animal! And Doctor Rickets doesn’t know shit about treating him! Now I don’t care what you say Joe I will talk to him alone and I’m going to do it. Right now!” I’ve never seen Joey so nervous before, then again I don’t think I’ve ever yelled at him before. “Fine Dana... One minute. That’s all” The two other guards looked at Joey baffled but he gave them one mean stare and they obeyed. “Vincent...” I whispered quietly as I approached the bars “Vincent it’s going to be okay. I’m going to help you... Look when you’re out there, just be careful... Please, please be careful for me.” I watched him through the bars, Rickets had already been here and poor Vincent was so distant right now I have no idea if he could hear me. It didn’t matter though Joey was getting suspicious; I could see him watching me through the window and knew I had overplayed my hand. But there was one more thing to do. Vincent’s shock collar and muzzle needed to be removed and there was only one way to do that, I needed to get inside his cell.

I hope you don't mind that I've mentioned Vincents past Shade I didnt really know a lot about his child hood so I just made stuff up
Back to top Go down
Tainted Soul
Admin
Tainted Soul

Doctor Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Mercy   Doctor Mercy Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:24 pm

Final post, I always wondered why Vincent waited 3 months before escaping. Now I have a reason why.

It was 7am on a Friday when the Enforcers came for their weekly visit, as usual. Vincent had spent a day without any power suppressant, this had to work. Joey has the camera shift on Friday’s so I knew where he would be, this all had to work like clockwork. His lobotomy was scheduled at 8am I had1 hours to release Vincent restraints and get him out. The Enforcers walked passed me again, Mai grabbing Acheron’s hand as she always did while they followed a guard. I moved pasted them to the security wing, where I found Joe with a cup of coffee staring mindlessly at a collective of TV screens. “Joe...” I whispered walking into the quiet room “Dana? Everything okay?” “Yes Joey... I wanted to thank you for yesterday. For letting me talk with Vincent.” “That’s alright... But I’ll never know why you think he can just talk it all out, that kid ain’t right.” If feel my fingers curl at my side and want to strike Joey in the face, no one sees Vincent the way I do. But I don’t, this needs to work “I have faith in him. But that’s not important, I want to thank you properly Joey... Dinner? My place?” I ask and blush slightly leaving Joe dumbstruck “Dana, I’d... I’d love to” “Great” I reply and lean in to kiss him on the cheek, unknown to Joe I’m also grabbing the key to Vincent’s collar but he’s to blinded by lust to notice. “I’ll see you at 7 then” I tell him with a smile, I give a wave and leave him to his fantasies of things that would never happen. Joey is a good friend, he always took care of me but that’s just it, he’s a good friend and that’s all I’ll ever see him as. I pass the Enforcers once again as they leave the Asylum, it’s the perfect time Vincent is always most distressed after they leave no one will notice any extra sounds from his cell. Over the years I had found my way around Halows Asylum, little hidey holes here and there. I had never told Joey about them because I thought one day they might be useful to me, I guess I was right. The small hole was tight and dirty but I wriggled forth, it was so hard to breath every time me lungs expanded the walls were tighter and every time I breathed in my mouth would fill with dust. The stale air stank of blood and sweat, it made me think of Doctor Rickets and his deranged methods which made me press forward until at last I slithered from the small hole beneath Vincent’s bed. He sat alone on the floor crying, loud heavy sobs echoing throughout the cell. I wanted to put my arms around him, to hold him and let him know I was going to make things better, but I knew I couldn’t regardless of the painful burns I simply didn’t have the time. I sat down in front of him and he looked past me, I think he was still looking for Takara waiting for her to come back. Though I knew she wouldn’t, Takara had a strange relationship with M.A.C’s Delilah for whatever reason. Still with Vincent distracted he’ll draw less attention to me. My fingers fumble with the lock at first, with Vincent’s powers returning I can feel the heat radiating off his flesh. All of my instincts scream to pull away from the pain but my mind begs me to keep at it, to help Vincent no matter what. The muzzle and the collar fall to the floor in a steaming pile as a pull my hands to my chest to tend to them, third degree burns cover my fingers but it’s worth it. I hear the guard’s voices and panic as I scurry back to the hole beneath the bed. I try to hold my breath so they can’t hear me, if I get caught not only will I lose my job but Vincent will stay locked away and then worse. I can hear the voices above me but I can’t make out what their saying, I pray they aren’t talking about Vincent or myself.

Somehow I make it out and I sit by my car and wait. I don’t want to leave until I’m sure Vincent has escaped. I had a feeling in the pit of my stomach that something was very wrong, it was approaching 8 o’clock Rickets would have him soon. I had to go with plan B, rush in and grab him. Not the most elegant plan but it was the only other plan I had. My hand grabbed a hold of the door handle when I heard the screams of the other patients and saw the guards running for the door. I couldn’t help but smile Vincent was escaping, my plan was working. I see Joey look up at me just before the fire burns through the corridor and throws me to the ground. I wake up to the stench of burnt flesh and through my blurry eyes I see a heavy cloud of red as it falls on top of my skin. The ground beneath me is a slushy pool of blood and bone as my blood seeps out like it can’t wait to escape to the earth. My legs are gone I know that much, I’m pretty sure I saw some of my fingers fall beside me head as I was tossed to the ground. The explosion has deafened me but amongst the ringing in my ears I can hear Vincent’s laughter thumping against my ear drums. I try to move but as I arch back my body I can feel my intestines unspools bellow me, I’m too far gone for pain now and know death is coming for me soon. The noble thoughts which once coursed through my brain begin to fade away and turn to dust; my mind is fading along with my body into the darkness. I think back to Ona’s picture of me and it finally makes sense in the end I became a blood splatter on the side walk. I can still make out his figure through the flames and hear his mocking laughter as my final thought wanders through my mind... I just wanted to help people, did I help the wrong person?

You know I rather liked Dana Mercy's character, she's so innocent and thinks she can help everyone but has no strict obligation as to why she's helping these people. She's just a good person, maybe I'll use her again about her past with Halows Asylum.
Back to top Go down
Shade_The_Shadow_Lord
Admin
Shade_The_Shadow_Lord

Doctor Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Mercy   Doctor Mercy Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:50 pm

All I have to say is, impressive.

found more to say, did all three posts in total take 3-4 hours?
Back to top Go down
KittyCyrael

KittyCyrael

Doctor Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Mercy   Doctor Mercy Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:36 pm

This was a really good read, TS. A good history of what happened to Vincent at the asylum.

and then she died :/
Back to top Go down
Shade_The_Shadow_Lord
Admin
Shade_The_Shadow_Lord

Doctor Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Mercy   Doctor Mercy Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:44 pm

It's a shame, can we work out a deal TS? so maybe shade can life her or soemthing, maybe she can be a Therapist for Bt, god knows they need one.

( nice referance to Emilliee btw)
Back to top Go down
Tainted Soul
Admin
Tainted Soul

Doctor Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Mercy   Doctor Mercy Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:01 pm

Thanks for the positive feed back guys. And I was actually toying with the idea of Madora bringing her back so she could get inside information on how the Enforcers think and ya know mess with their heads. But I have a hard time believing Dana would cooperate with that.

Also did anyone get the feeling that despite my efforts Dana appeared to have a slight crush on Vincent? Or was that just me?

Also also, out of curiousty what did Doctor Mercy look like to you guys I tried avoiding description of her other then the glasses so you guys could make her yourself and I could be lazy lol
Back to top Go down
Shade_The_Shadow_Lord
Admin
Shade_The_Shadow_Lord

Doctor Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Mercy   Doctor Mercy Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:08 pm

As opposed to Shade's idea which in my opinion she would gladly accept the opportunity to peer into the minds of the cities most notorious ( maybe) criminals.( or maybe that's just the hope in the back of my head)

In my opinion Dana seemed to have a slight obsession with Vincent, more a crush on Joey. .....Joey Wheeler!

I think Long brown hair, science lab coat,l square black glasses and probs brown eyes.
Back to top Go down
KittyCyrael

KittyCyrael

Doctor Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Mercy   Doctor Mercy Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:17 pm

She was obsessed with Vincent, but it did seem like she cared a bit too much about him.

I pictured Doctor Mercy to have short and blonde hair and look vaguely European...
Back to top Go down
Shade_The_Shadow_Lord
Admin
Shade_The_Shadow_Lord

Doctor Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Mercy   Doctor Mercy Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:25 pm

Who could blame her? H was extremely handsome after all

like yours truly Razz
Back to top Go down
Tainted Soul
Admin
Tainted Soul

Doctor Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Mercy   Doctor Mercy Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:37 pm

Yeah and then he killed her... Dick move there Vincent
Back to top Go down
Shade_The_Shadow_Lord
Admin
Shade_The_Shadow_Lord

Doctor Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Mercy   Doctor Mercy Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:49 pm

In his defence he didn't know she was there.
Back to top Go down
Tainted Soul
Admin
Tainted Soul

Doctor Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Mercy   Doctor Mercy Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:51 pm

Yeah true, though he did know everyone else was there.
Back to top Go down
Shade_The_Shadow_Lord
Admin
Shade_The_Shadow_Lord

Doctor Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Mercy   Doctor Mercy Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:10 pm

In his second defence, he's insane >.<
Back to top Go down
Tainted Soul
Admin
Tainted Soul

Doctor Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Mercy   Doctor Mercy Icon_minitime1Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:18 pm

Oh taking the insanity plea are we? lol
Back to top Go down
Shade_The_Shadow_Lord
Admin
Shade_The_Shadow_Lord

Doctor Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Mercy   Doctor Mercy Icon_minitime1Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:23 am

Hey it works! Though you need to go seek mental help after.
Back to top Go down
Tainted Soul
Admin
Tainted Soul

Doctor Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Mercy   Doctor Mercy Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:29 pm

Hmm been thinking about a part 2 of this.
Back to top Go down
KittyCyrael

KittyCyrael

Doctor Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Mercy   Doctor Mercy Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:19 pm

oh oh awesome! please do =D
Back to top Go down
Shade_The_Shadow_Lord
Admin
Shade_The_Shadow_Lord

Doctor Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Mercy   Doctor Mercy Icon_minitime1Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:12 am

how would that work ain't she dead?
Back to top Go down
Tainted Soul
Admin
Tainted Soul

Doctor Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Mercy   Doctor Mercy Icon_minitime1Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:07 pm

Yeah but what if it was a prequel?
Back to top Go down
Shade_The_Shadow_Lord
Admin
Shade_The_Shadow_Lord

Doctor Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Mercy   Doctor Mercy Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:32 am

Like what timeframe, med school or something?
Back to top Go down
Tainted Soul
Admin
Tainted Soul

Doctor Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Mercy   Doctor Mercy Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:26 am

Just after Ona dies, when she became really obsessed
Back to top Go down
KittyCyrael

KittyCyrael

Doctor Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Mercy   Doctor Mercy Icon_minitime1Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:14 pm

ooh. that'll be good
Back to top Go down
Shade_The_Shadow_Lord
Admin
Shade_The_Shadow_Lord

Doctor Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Mercy   Doctor Mercy Icon_minitime1Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:48 am

Can't wait!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Doctor Mercy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Doctor Mercy   Doctor Mercy Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Doctor Mercy
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Black Thunder :: Fun :: Stories-
Jump to: